Lazy Lake is an independent village, completely surrounded by Wilton Manors, but is an independently incorporated municipality.
In 1946, a developer and contractor by the name of Hal Ratliff, began the process of building the community around an old rock quarry (which later was filled with water and became the village's artificial lake.) He had the help of architect Clinton Gamble, who designed the original homes, and financier and accountant Charles H. Lindfors, who initially bought the land. Ratliff's goal was to build a community that was low-key, with heavy forestry infrastructure, allowing neighbors to keep to themselves and have some anonymity. Lazy Lake received its name when a friend of Hal Ratliff remarked that the lake looked "so lazy and peaceful."
When nearby Wilton Manors decided to incorporate as a city, it asked Lazy Lake's residents whether they wanted to be annexed to Wilton Manors. Lazy Lake's residents decided to incorporate themselves into the Village of Lazy Lake instead.
It is the smallest incorporated municipality in Broward County by area. This low population was because the town originally had been composed of single family homes in a small housing development, with a lake named Lazy Lake, (its namesake,) in the middle of the houses surrounding it. The village started off with 13 homes on 13 acres (the maximum allowed by the charter.) The three homes of the three main founders of the village were the first to be built on the property, which was originally platted for a subdivision. There are no businesses, traffic lights or town hall, and only one street: Lazy Lane.
Click here to read more about how Lazy Lake became an independent village.