• MODS’s Camp Discovery S.A.F.E. (Science. Affordable. Fun. Education) Stem Summer Camp offers unforgettable days of fun and safe interactive exploration and hands-on immersive learning opportunities all summer long for ages 6-12 (entering grades 1-6).
• Camps are offered in five-day and two-day programs listed below.
• ADVANCED REGISTRATION is required to guarantee a spot due to smaller group sizes. Camp Discovery requires a minimum of eight (8) campers per group and will be capped at ten (10) campers per group for social distancing. Camp sizes may increase as CDC guidelines change.
• Masks are mandatory for all guests over the age of 2, including those who have received a COVID-19 vaccine and all are required to follow our Healthy Choices Make Healthy Scientists protocols to ensure a safe experience. Please visit mods.org/summercamp for all details.
• Here Be Dragons June 10-11 (Two-Day Camp) Calling all knights, princesses, and brave scientists! Dragons have invaded MODS. Meet ‘dragon’ ambassadors, while exploring the scaley world of reptiles. Learn how cold-blooded animals use solar energy to stay warm, and dig deeper into paleontology to understand the link between dinosaurs and dragons. Ignite your curiosity and imagination by exploring MODS’ new traveling exhibit Here Be Dragons.
• Up, Up and Away! June 14-18 (Five-Day Camp) It is time to soar through the science of flight! Engineer your own craft and take aim for fun. Learn about gravity and energy! Fly on your imagination while exploring various replica cockpit simulators of the Lockheed-Martin F-35, Strike Fighter, the Edge 540 and a Vought F4U Corsair, and then design and test your own flight designs. Ride through the sky with MODS’ Inspiration Takes Flight film in the 7D capsule theater with multi-sensory effects.
• Kitchen Chemistry June 21-25 (Five-Day Camp) Grades 1 & 2 SOLD OUT Explore how chemistry, biology and technology all play a part in the world of food and nutrition. Create edible juice bubbles, use chemistry to cook edible slime and make your own solar ovens for some afternoon snacks. Put a cherry on top of your week with a local candy shop to learn how fudge is made.
• A Campers Guide to the Galaxy June 28-July 2 (Five-Day Camp) Join MODS for a week filled with space science fun and learn about the forces that keep all the planets rotating around the sun, explore the parts of a comet and engineer a rocket that will launch into the sky.
• MODS Magical Camp for Witches and Wizards July 5-9 (Five-Day Camp) MODS is pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to MODS Magical Camp for Witchcraft and Wizardry! Our first order of business? Get sorted and make your own wand. Then spend your week exploring the classes at MODS, such as care of magical creatures, potions, herbology and defense against the dark arts. Get ready for a week of bubbling potions, flying lessons, and much more!
• Chillin’ Like a Villain July 12-16 (Five-Day Camp) Every story needs a great villain! From Descendants to Dr. Doom, join MODS this week to discover the science behind your favorite villains. Investigate the science behind superhuman flight, flexibility, speed and much more. Learn how to use a shrink ray and master your levitation skills. This camp is going to be a wicked good time!
• Full STEAM Ahead July 19-23 (Five-Day Camp) It’s time to bring out your creative side for STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) week! MODS will be pushing the limits of creativity and encouraging dirty, messy, colorful science! Learn about chemistry while making fizzy works of art in MODS’ chem-ART-istry studio, bring botany into your colorful creations to learn about plant anatomy, and learn the physics behind making your own glow-in-the-dark sidewalk chalk!
• Summer Games July 26-30 (Five-Day Camp) MODS is celebrating the Summer Olympics this week! Learn how human and animal athletes alike use science to function under extreme conditions. Campers will compete in their own games and challenges including MODS Robot Olympics.
• Makerspace: Trash to Treasure August 2-6 (Five-Day Camp) Reduce, Re-Use and Reimagine! MODS has added Renewable Resources to STEAM and this week campers will explore renewable resources and fun ways to use them! Take a visit to MODS’ new Makerspace The Hangar and use tools and technology to discover fun and unique ways to turn your everyday trash into reusable treasures.
• Born to Be Wild August 9-13 (Five-Day Camp) Calling all biologists for FIVE days of wild fun! Explore the wonderful world of animals this week as you personally meet many of the Museum’s resident creatures. Meet an arthropod and see why its exoskeleton is beneficial. Introduce yourself to an alligator and learn why alligators are a keystone species to the Everglades. Learn how we can help protect our earth and our wild friends for future generations.
• Game On/Roblox August 16-17 (Two-Day Camp) What does it take to create a video game? Discover how STEAM is essential to the creative process of your favorite games like Roblox, Minecraft and Fortnite. Be a videogame designer by creating your own virtual story and digitally bringing your game to life. Prepare for two full days of video game design while learning the basics of computer graphics, writing storyboards, and game coding!
Fees: Five-Day Camps Museum members: $200 | Non-members: $225
Two-Day Camps: Museum members: $80; Non-members: $90
Registration: Those who book in advance will receive $10 off. To register for Camp Discovery, please visit mods.org/summercamp. For more information, please email booking at mods.org or call 954-713-0930.