19.9 acres. The scrubby habitat dominating this site has become one of the rarest plant communities in Broward County. Since the Florida scrub was the highest and driest habitat in South Florida, development focused first in these areas as the region was colonized, leaving very little of the habitat intact. This site contains a mosaic of scrubby flatwoods, oak-dominated scrub, and sand pine scrub. A small remnant dome swamp is located on the north boundary. Military Trail was originally built as a dirt access road for soldiers during the Second Seminole War (1835-1842). In 1890, the site was part of a larger land parcel deeded to the Florida Coast Line Canal and Transportation Company as payment for work on the Intracoastal Waterway. In 1897, the land parcel was sold to the company most commonly known as the Florida East Coast Railway Company, controlled by Henry Flagler. Broward County purchased the site through the 1989 Environmentally Sensitive Lands Bond program, which was dedicated to preserving sites with significant habitat. The site was opened for the public's enjoyment in 2011.