GREATER FORT LAUDERDALE’S ECLECTIC MUSIC SCENE TAKES CENTER STAGE AT SXSW 2018 WITH UNDERGROUND LAUDERDALE AND RIPTIDE MUSIC FESTIVAL
Interactive Activations Highlight Destination’s Appeal to Music Lovers
GREATER FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (March 7, 2018) —The Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention & Visitors Bureau will showcase a sampling of the destination’s music vibe at this year’s SXSW Music Opening Party on March 13th in Austin, Texas. Attendees will uncover the live music scene of Greater Fort Lauderdale – where Indie, Alternative, Rock and Singer-Songwriter artists jam year-round. Inspired by its Underground Lauderdale “movement” for edgy events and activities, the CVB will present an opening night activation featuring iconic indie band Superchunk, Spanish reggaeton/dance hall rapper Bad Gyal, performance art collective Pussy Riot, German electronic pop act Lali Puna, raucous glam rockers Starcrawler, and sleek darkwave duo Boy Harsher.
Riptide Music Festival, now one of Greater Fort Lauderdale’s most prominent music events, will also make a splash at SXSW, hosting an exclusive opening night showcase, following the opening party, with five of its featured bands and a trip giveaway in partnership with the Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention & Visitors Bureau. Featured acts include Fort Lauderdale native Alex Di Leo, The Heirs, Brother Sundance, Lovelytheband, and The Academic.
- Underground Lauderdale Music Opening Party: Tuesday, March 13, 6-9PM at The Main on Sixth, 610 E 6th St
- Riptide Music Festival Showcase: Tuesday, March 13, 9PM-2AM at The Main on Sixth, 610 E 6th St
“It’s beyond exciting for us to bring Underground Lauderdale to SXSW, along with Riptide Music Festival, to truly showcase the diversity and exciting nature of Greater Fort Lauderdale’s flourishing music scene,” said Noelle P. Stevenson, vice president of the bureau’s Underground Lauderdale Division. “It’s an incredible opportunity to reach new audiences, advance our new image and garner industry recognition for being a major music hub.”
When the sun sets in Fort Lauderdale, the night heats up with live music events and festivals.
- UNDERGROUND MOVEMENT. Greater Fort Lauderdale has an emerging indie arts movement brewing from small studios to large galleries and neighborhoods. Its Underground Lauderdale movement gives a new meaning to the underground experience, where sound meets music, film meets imagination and art meets fashion. Long guarded as one of Greater Fort Lauderdale’s best kept secrets, the underground/indie rock music hub has emerged significantly in recent years. Music aficionados with diverse sound preferences will find a melting pot of music genres taking over performance venues in all neighborhoods of the city. Exclusive perks such as the Underground Music Pass (UMP) provide special offers designed for audiences and members of the music industry.
- ANNUAL MUSIC FESTIVALS. Rock the Ocean’s Tortuga Music Festival, April 6-8, 2018, is a multi-stage music festival featuring some of the biggest names in country, rock and roots music. Concert-goers can dip their toes in the golden sands of Fort Lauderdale’s Blue Wave certified beach. Headliners include Eric Church, Keith Urban, and Florida Georgia Line. Monster Energy Fort Rock, April 28-29, 2018, at Markham Park, is South Florida’s biggest rock experience featuring the genre’s top artists performing on two stages. Headliners include Ozzy Osbourne, Stone Temple Pilots and Five Finger Death Punch. Entercom Radio’s Riptide Music Festival is the biggest two-day alternative & classic hits music festival hosted in December on the beaches of Fort Lauderdale.
- CONCERT VENUES. BB&T Center, the 20,763-seat home of the NHL Florida Panthers, also hosts top-tier concerts. Hard Rock Live, located at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, is a 5,500-seat indoor arena, hosting musical acts. Revolution Live, located in the downtown Fort Lauderdale Riverwalk Arts & Entertainment District, has two stages accommodating more than 3,000 guests inside and outdoors. Culture Room in Fort Lauderdale features indie and alternative acts in an intimate 650-capacity space.
For more information on music and artists in Greater Fort Lauderdale, including events, venues, concerts and festivals, visit www.sunny.org.
# # #
About Greater Fort Lauderdale
From the seagrass to the sawgrass, Greater Fort Lauderdale, located in Broward County, boasts more than 34,000 lodging accommodations at a variety of hotels, luxury spa resorts, and Superior Small Lodgings reflecting a vibrant cosmopolitan vibe. Visitors enjoy 23 miles of Blue Wave certified beaches, discover 300+ miles of inland waterways that run from the Intracoastal Waterway to the Everglades, dine at thousands of restaurants and eateries, get immersed in a thriving arts and culture scene and indulge in top shopping. Underground Lauderdale, a division of the Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention & Visitors Bureau, focuses on creative industries including film, music, entertainment, art, fashion and special events. Greater Fort Lauderdale has become a live music hub and known for its alternative, indie rock, Americana, singer songwriter as well as country rock music genre. Underground Lauderdale is responsible for branding, partnerships and publicity that creates opportunities with a direct positive impact from these market segments. For information about Greater Fort Lauderdale’s Underground offerings visit www.sunny.org/underground or www.sunny.org/music.
For more information, contact the Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention & Visitors Bureau at (800) 22-SUNNY or visit www.sunny.org. Get social and engage with Greater Fort Lauderdale on social media channels including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest: @visitlauderdale.