- The Conrad Fort Lauderdale Beach recently opened in late 2017, overlooking the beach as well as the Intracoastal Waterways. The resort offers 290 all-suite accommodations, indoor and outdoor dining venues, a 4,000 sq. ft. spa and fitness center, an elevated ocean-facing Sky Deck oasis with a heated pool and cabanas and 10,000 sq. ft. of flexible meeting and event space.
- The Plunge Beach Hotel grand debut took place in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea in early 2017. The 157-room oceanfront hotel complex offers direct beach access and is comprised of three individual buildings. Among the resort’s perks is the Backflip Beach Bar, the only true toes-in-the-sand beach bar in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, along with Octopus Lobby Gastropub and Bean & Barnacle Coffee Shop and Marketplace. Amenities include two beachfront swimming pools with ocean views.
- Designed with a contemporary flair and inspired by Downtown Hollywood’s burgeoning arts scene, CIRC Hotel, a 111-room modern, boutique hotel, will open on Young Circle in early 2018. Perfect for travelers who enjoy a colorful, cultural experience, the 12-story building will feature Olivia Restaurant & Bar by Piero Filpi, The Muse Rooftop Bar & Lounge, and 3,000 square feet of meeting and event space on the 11th floor. CIRC Hotel is located in the heart of vibrant Downtown Hollywood, within walking distance of numerous restaurants, bars, cafés and boutiques.
- Hotel Morrison, a 143-room select service boutique hotel opening soon in Dania Beach offering upscale accommodations with environmentally-friendly products. For meetings and events, the hotel boasts 1,500 sq. ft. of flexible space including a pre-function area that flows into the pool deck. guest rooms, 20,000 square feet of state-of-the-art flexible meeting space and two redesigned restaurants. Anticipated to open in 2018.
- The $23 million TRYP by Wyndham Maritime Hotel will open their doors in early 2018. The eight-story, 150 room, maritime boutique hotel caters to business and leisure travelers and sports a European / Mediterranean nautical style décor. The hotel features a Spanish Tapas Bar, free Wi-Fi, 3,400 sq. ft. of flexible event space, shuttle to the airport & cruise port, and a large aquarium in the lobby.
- Costa Hollywood Beach Resort, a vibrant, chic oceanfront hotel featuring 307 studio and one-, two-, and three-bedroom suites, is set to open spring 2018. The resort features a 25,000 sq. ft. rooftop pool deck offering sweeping Atlantic Ocean and Intracoastal Waterway views, a poolside restaurant/bar and is just steps from Hollywood Beach Broadwalk.
- The Le Méridien Dania Beach at Fort Lauderdale Airport (formerly Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port Hotel) is undergoing a $30 million renovation and conversion and will feature 245 contemporary guest rooms, 20,000 sq ft of state-of-the-art flexible meeting space and two redesigned restaurants. Anticipated to open October 2018.
- The $23 million Tryp by Wyndham Maritime Hotel will be opening its doors in the first quarter of 2018. The eight-story, 150 room, maritime-themed hotel will cater to business and leisure travelers and offer a European-style tapas bar, featuring 11 aquariums.
- A new full-service dual branded hotel is coming to downtown Fort Lauderdale in August 2018. The Dalmar - Tribute Portfolio (209 rooms) and The Element by Westin (114 rooms). The 24-story, 323-room hotel will offer an elevated arrival experience on the 6th floor along with a lobby bar, expansive pool deck, and fitness room. Experience modern American cuisine at The Terrace. It will also include 9,000 sq. ft. of meeting and ballroom space, a ground-floor coffee shop, Roses. The hotel will also have a high-rise rooftop bar on its 25th floor, Sparrow offering stunning 360 degree views of downtown and craft cocktails.
- A new $21 million, 142 room Wyndham Garden Hotel in Dania Beach is expected to open in 2018 and plans to offer casual dining, flexible meeting space and an inviting lobby and lounge.
- The historic Escape Hotel is being reborn and transformed into the Gale Boutique Hotel, with 96 rooms and 129 condo residences in Fort Lauderdale. Estimated to open in 2018, the Gale will feature sleek furnishings and luxury amenities, rooftop sky deck, fitness center and spa, concierge services and pool.
- In addition to 136 loft-like rooms at Aloft Weston, the new property will offer 600 sq ft of meeting space and all the brand essentials such as WXYZ® bar, and a Splash pool. Scheduled to open in 2018. Aloft Fort Lauderdale will also provide loft-like rooms and all the brand’s signature amenities, along with 1,500 sq ft of meeting facilities. Opening Jan 2019.
- Soon to break ground, a new 23-story Four Seasons will open in late 2019 with 150 hotel rooms and 95 residences, two restaurants, a spa, fitness center, children’s recreation room, “Beach Butlers” and ballroom and meeting facilities.
- AC Sawgrass Mills/Sunrise, a new 170-room hotel in Sunrise on property adjacent to Sawgrass Mills, is expected to begin construction in spring 2018 for opening in early 2020. The new hotel will be part of the AC Hotels by Marriott brand. The eight-story hotel will include 5,000 square feet of meeting and event space, an arts-focused library, lounge with tapas-style menu and craft beers and cocktails, health and fitness center and a rooftop water feature and full-service bar.
- The Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six has become an independent property under the ownership of Tavistock Development Co. with the new name Pier Sixty-Six Hotel & Marina.
- The Crowne Plaza Hollywood is now the DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hollywood Beach.
- The Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port Inn/Comfort Suites has officially been named Four Points by Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Airport / Cruise Port and opened a new restaurant, 1800 Bistro & Bar, on property.
- After a $100 million transformation, The Diplomat Beach Resort ushers in a new era of oceanfront perfection with view-inspired guestrooms and suites, luxe amenities and 10 all new culinary experiences helmed by celebrity chefs including Geoffrey Zakarian’s Point Royal and Michael Schulson’s Monkitail.
- The Residence Inn by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Weston, an extended-stay property located in the city hub, Jazzed Up their suites along with their recreation and public areas with a multi-million dollar refashioning project. The dining room has been expanded to accommodate their improved buffet offerings and to evoke a sense of comfort to guests during their evening social hours.
- Fresh off a $55 million restyle and renovation, W Fort Lauderdale brings a high-contrast, sleek design to its 517 guestrooms & suites, Fourth Floor Living Room (lobby) & Terrace, two infinity-style WET Deck pools, and all its chic public spaces. Delectable cuisine from James Beard Award Nominee Stephen Starr still reigns supreme with award-winning Steak 954 plus a brand new addition, The Sushi Bar, featuring the freshest rolled sushi on Fort Lauderdale beach. A new 4,000 sq ft ballroom will enhance existing event space options and bring the property’s meeting space total an extraordinary 40,000 sq ft. Twenty versatile indoor and two spectacular outdoor spaces provide a stunning backdrop for 5-500 people corporate meetings, lavish weddings, reunions or retreats. New to the scene will also be an additional three-meal-a-day restaurant featuring ocean view sidewalk dining.
- B Ocean Resort recently unveiled its all-encompassing renovation, offering 484 spacious guest rooms and suites including an oceanfront presidential suite with picturesque, panoramic views. Amenities include two outdoor infinity edge swimming pools, a 24-hour state-of-the-art B Active® Fitness Center, two B Indulged® Spa Suites and more than 14,000 sq. ft. of indoor and outdoor meeting space. Chef and TV personality, Ralph Pagano leads the hotel’s food and beverage concepts including NAKED CRAB Seafood Kitchen | Cocktail Bar, Salty Siren and the world-famous Wreck Bar.
- The Ikona Hotel (formerly the Shell Motel) has opened its doors following a multi-million-dollar renovation that restored key features of the mid-century modern building while modernizing the interior design with smart technology and stylish amenities. A contemporary re-imagination of a seaside cottage, the Ikona’s 24 deluxe rooms, family apartment suites and penthouses include custom-made modern furnishings. The three-story hotel overlooks a private pool and courtyard garden with indoor and outdoor event space, including a second-level balcony overlooking the ocean.
- The Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort – A DoubleTree by Hilton is undergoing a $7 million dollar refurbishing including the relaunching of the hotel’s Waves Rooftop Pool Bar & Grill. The hotel is freshening up with new rooms, hallways, entertainment area, lobby, and ballroom in phase one. Phase two will consist of a brand-new 256-room hotel, residential components around the property, and a boardwalk that goes around the entire marina and ends at the marina village.
- The Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood is adding a $1.8 billion, guitar-shaped tower with 800 rooms adding to its already 500 guest rooms. In addition, the project will bring a number of new dining and entertainment venues, and an estimated 50,000 sq. ft. of function space to be completed by late 2019.
Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport:
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) opened Concourse A in Terminal 1 in July 2017 and added 5 new international gates. Terminal 4 East opened in December 2017 with 6 new international gates, which will replace the international gates in Concourse H. Both projects are part of a $3.2 billion airport expansion and modernization program. New service includes: New service includes: JetBlue: Salt Lake City; Allegiant: Milwaukee, Norfolk Atlanta (Mar); Delta: Salt Lake City; Spirit: Columbus (Feb), Richmond (Mar), Guayaquil (Mar), Seattle (Apr-Sept), Cap Haiten (Apr); Southwest: San Jose, Punta Cana, Providinciales, Turks/Caicos, Aruba (Mar) and San Antonio (July); British Airways: London Gatwick; Norwegian Air Shuttle: Barcelona and Martinique (French Caribbean).
Port Everglades News:
- Silversea Cruises’ newest cruise ship Silver Muse began sailing out of Port Everglades with five sailings in 2018, along with voyages on Silver Spirit, Silver Whisper and Silver Wind also sailing from Port Everglades. Luxury cruise line Crystal Cruises began sailing from Port Everglades with Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony. Princess Cruises begins year-round sailings with Caribbean Princess in Apr 2018 in addition to regular summer sailings on Royal Caribbean’s Harmony of the Seas and Carnival Cruise Line’s Conquest. Celebrity Cruises’ new 2,900 passenger, Celebrity Edge, and Holland America Line’s new 2,650-passenger ms Nieuw Statendam will homeport fall 2018.
New Restaurant Openings:
- The Restaurant People recently opened Rooftop @1WLOS in downtown Fort Lauderdale featuring dramatic views, crafted cocktails, extensive wine list and seasonally-inspired small plates. The Restaurant People also opened TRP Taste on the 1st floor of the same building with the first of its kind culinary-focused 24-seat venue built around a rotating, ever-evolving schedule of unique culinary-driven experiences.
- Celebrated Mexican chef Pablo Salas is behind Lona Cocina and Tequileria, The Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort's chic new Mexican eatery. Lona will offer Salas’ eclectic, soulful Mexican cooking in a chic, yet funky environment, complete with a breathtaking outdoor bar, casually elegant interior dining room, a special tequila tasting room and multiple private dining spaces.
- Terra Mare in the newly opened Conrad Fort Lauderdale Beach, offers sophisticated shared-plate dining with a focus on fresh, locally sourced cuisine, going beyond tapas and encouraging an immersive experience.
- ETARU, featuring contemporary Japanese Robatayaki cuisine, opened in Hallandale Beach serving a menu and vibe that embraces its oceanfront setting in a stunning multi-functional space that will evolve throughout the day and night, with a ground level beach club, restaurant and bar.
- A new dining concept, Coastal, recently opened at The Atlantic Hotel & Spa featuring Italian-inspired Mediterranean coastal cuisine, along with beautiful oceanfront views.
- The Wilder in downtown Fort Lauderdale, is the newest drinking den consisting of three rooms, each with its own vibe.
- The Hideaway speakeasy bar offers a glimpse into historic downtown Fort Lauderdale serving artisanal cocktails, craft beers, a large whiskey selection, and an eclectic rotating counter-style menu.
- Good Spirits Fifth and Fed opened in the heart of Fort Lauderdale, a modern, 21st century dining experience where every dish and cocktail served is crafted to introduce yesterday’s lifestyle to today’s generation.
- New on Las Olas Boulevard, The Boathouse at the Riverside Hotel features Mediterranean style tapas and a full bar on the waterfront; and El Camino, a Mexican soul-food restaurant and tequila bar, serving tacos, margaritas (available in more than a dozen specialty flavors) and tequila offerings with more than 300 selections and around 100 different types of mezcal.
- Stephen Starr, the James Beard Award-winning restaurateur announced the opening of his El Vez Mexican restaurant at the W Hotel in Fort Lauderdale in early 2018.
- Red Door Asian Bistro will open in early 2018 on Las Olas Boulevard in the site formerly occupied by Johnny V.
Madisons New York Grill & Bar is joining the Riverside Promenade, an all-new 2.2-acre dining, entertainment and retail complex set to open in late 2018 directly on Atlantic Boulevard and the Intracoastal waterway in Pompano Beach. The waterfront restaurant will be an upscale 10,000 sq. ft. concept with 500-seats indoor and outdoor and waterfront docking available, set to open in the late fall of 2018.
What Else is New?
- The Museum of Discovery and Science is opening a new outdoor Science Park in late March. Giant full-body exhibits will demonstrate key principles of physics and engineering while also providing entertainment and group interaction. The outdoor expansion of the Museum’s hands-on learning experiences is a family based zone of discovery welcoming visitors of all ages. Here, visitors explore together to strengthen science understanding and science thinking skills through hands-on exploration in a beautiful outdoor setting. The exhibits provide multiple, content-rich opportunities in which visitors can experiment with basic principles of the physical world and come to intuitive understandings about how they work.
On the Horizon:
100 Las Olas, a new 121 residence project, will include a Hyatt Centric Hotel featuring 238 guest rooms and a ground level restaurant/bar with indoor and outdoor seating, along with 8,500 sq. ft. of retail and fine dining. The project is slated to be the tallest building in downtown Fort Lauderdale with completion in 2020.
X Las Olas breaks ground to redevelop the Riverfront in downtown Fort Lauderdale. Part of the new PMGx multi-family housing division, comprised of “social living” rental communities that cater to modern professionals who seek a connected, fun and convenient lifestyle, X Las Olas will also include 30,000 sq. ft. of ground floor retail space, featuring restaurants, markets, services, and entertainment along the waterfront on Fort Lauderdale’s New River. Slated for completion in 2020.